1 250g ginger cake
3 pears, cored and halved lengthways
1/2 bottle strong cider
1 tablespoon demerara sugar
900ml (1 1/2 pt) custard
750ml double or whipping cream
1 Flake® bar
1. Line trifle dish with the ginger cake which has been broken into bite size pieces.
2. Simmer pears in cider and demerara sugar until tender but still medium firm. Remove pears and then reduce the liquid until it thickens making it slightly syrupy. Cut pears into bite size pieces and filling the gaps between ginger cake. You can put all pear around the outside as it will be visible through the trifle dish when finished.
3. You will need sufficient cider syrup to lightly soak the cake. Drizzle over the cake and allow to cool.
4. When cooled, pour the custard over and allow to cool again
5. Whip cream and top the cooled custard and return to the fridge to set for at least a couple of hours before serving.
6. Crumble a Flake® over the top just prior to serving. Serve with extra cream if desired.