For the cod
• 1 tsp ground turmeric
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ lemon, juice only
• 4 x 175g/6oz cod fillets, skin on
• 20g/¾oz unsalted butter
For the lettuce
• 2 Little Gem lettuce, halved lengthways through the core
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• pinch salt
• 4 tbsp apple sauce
• 85g/3oz gorgonzola cheese, thinly sliced
• 2 tbsp broken walnut pieces, toasted
For the pepper mayo
• 100g/3½oz mayonnaise
• 2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste with a little salt
• ½ tsp smoked paprika
• ½ lemon, grated zest only
1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6. Heat a large ovenproof frying pan or griddle pan.
2. Mix together the turmeric, salt and lemon juice in a bowl and brush this over the cod using a pastry brush.
3. Drizzle olive oil on the cut surface of the lettuce, season with salt and place cut side down on the hot pan.
4. Heat the butter in the pan containing the lettuce and add the cod, flesh side down. Cook for 3-4 minutes before turning the lettuce and cod.
5. Top the cut surface of the lettuce with apple sauce and thin slices of gorgonzola, then place the pan in the oven for 4-6 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
6. For the pepper mayo, combine the mayo ingredients in a bowl.
7. To serve, place one piece of lettuce and cod on each of four warmed plates, scatter the lettuce with walnuts and serve with a dollop of pepper mayo.