1 large jar of pickled silverskin onions
8 medium sized tomatos
3 large cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1 litre of dry cider
4 gammon steaks
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees /gas mark 6.
2. Start by piercing each tomato once and covering with boiling water to loosen the skins.
3. Drain the onions and chop each one in half.
4. Once the tomatoes have been in the water for 5 minutes, drain, then remove the skins and coarsely chop into largish pieces.
5. Put the onions, tomatoes and apples into a casserole dish.
6. Take a gammon steak, lay flat, and spoon some of the mixture into the middle, then wrap the sides of the steak over the top and secure with a small skewer or piece of raw spaghetti. Place in the dish and repeat with the other gammon steaks.
7. Pour cider over the steaks, cover the top with a lid or tin foil.
8. Cook for 1 hour.