Smoked Salmon and Melon
- 1½ chilled ripe Galia or Cantaloupe melons, seeds removed, sliced
- Juice of ½ lime
- ½ teaspoon preserved ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 115g (4oz) smoked salmon slices
- Lemon and lime wedges to serve
- Arrange the melon slices on four plates.
- Whisk together the lime juice, ginger, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Spoon over the melon.
- Arrange the smoked salmon on the plates with the melon. Serve with lemon and lime wedges.
Chilled Melon Soup With Prawn and Avocado
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 Cantaloupe melons
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 250g cooked peeled prawns, thawed and drained if frozen
- 1 firm, but ripe, avocado
- Fresh mint leaves to garnish.
- Peel and de seed the cucumbers. Chop the flesh roughly. Drop into a saucepan of lightly salted boiling water and cook gently for 2 minutes. Drain in a sieve, then refresh under cold running water.
- Halve the melons and remove the seeds. Scoop out the flesh using a tablespoon and put into a blender or food processor. Add the cucumber, lemon juice and chopped mint, then whizz together until blended. Turn out the mixture into a bowl. Pour 200ml of water into the blender or processor and whizz briefly, then stir this liquid into the melon and cucumber mixture.
- Stir in the prawns and season lightly with freshly ground black pepper. Chill for at least 1½ hours and up to 12 hours.
- Just before serving, peel, stone and dice the avocado and add to the soup. Snip in some mint leaves to garnish and season to taste with more pepper if needed.