‘The Realm’ and ‘Champions’ lead Goya 2019 nominations
Rodrigo Sorogoyen’s political thriller The Realmled the Goya nominations from the Spanish Film Academy with 13 nods including for best film director, actor and original screenplay. It was closely followed by Javier Fesser’s hit comedy Champions with 11 nominations.
Asghar Farhadi’s Cannes opener Everybody Knowsgarnered eight nominations, including for best film, best actress for Penélope Cruz and best actor for Javier Bardem.
Fesser’s comedy is the most successful Spanish film by far at the local box office this year with a gross of $22m. Produced by Peliculas Pendleton, Movistar+ and Morena Films, Champions is also Spain’s entry to the best foreign-language film at the Oscars.
Isaki Lacuesta’s Golden Shell winner Between Two Waters, Arantxa Echevarría’s Carmen & Lola, which premiered in Directors’ Fortnight at Cannes, round out the best film category.
Echevarría’s Carmen & Lola, which scooped eight nominations, is the only entry in the best film category to be directed by a woman.
In the best director category all the nominees are men: Sorogoyen (The Realm); Fesser (Champions), Fahardi (Everybody Knows); and Lacuesta (Between Two Waters).
Echevarría has been relegated to the best new director category in which three of the four nominees are female. They are Andrea Jaurrieta for Ana By Day, and Celia Rico for Journey To A Mother’s Bedroom, who are joined by César Esteban Alenda and José Esteban Aluenda for Sin Fin.
Two non-Spanish directors shooting in Spain with local co-producers also stood out. As well as Farhadi’s Everybody Knows, Terry Gilliam’s The Man Who Shot Don Quixote received five nominations – for best make up, costumes, art direction, original song, production design.
Ramón Salazar’s Sunday’s Illness, which premiered to critical acclaim at the Berlinale, snagged just one nomination which was for best actress for Susi Sánchez.
Petra. by veteran director Jaime Rosales, was a surprise complete shut-out.
The Goyas will be held in Seville on February 2, 2019.
Goya nominations, main categories
- Champions (Javier Fesser)
- Carmen & Lola (Arantxa Echevarría)
- The Realm (Rodrigo Sorogoyen)
- Between Two Waters (Isaki Lacuesta)
- Everybody Knows (Asghar Farhadi)
- Javier Fesser (Champions)
- Rodrigo Sorogoyen (The Realm)
- Isaki Lacuesta (Between Two Waters)
- Asghar Farhadi (Everybody Knows)
Best new director
- Andrea Jaurrieta (Ana By Day)
- Arantxa Echevaría (Carmen & Lola)
- César Esteban Alenda, José Esteban Aluenda (Sin Fin)
- Celia Rico (Journey To A Mother’s Bedroom)
Best original screenplay
- David Marques, Javier Fesser (Champions)
- Arantxa Echevarría (Carmen & Lola)
- Isabel Peña, Rodrigo Sorogoyen (The Realm)
- Asghar Farhadi (Everybody Knows)
Best adapted screenplay
- Marta Sofía Martins, Natxo López (Jefe)
- Álvaro Brechner (A Twelve-Year Night)
- Borja Cobeaga, Diego San José (Superlópez)
- Paul Laverty (Yuli)
- Susi Sánchez (Sunday’s Illness)
- Najwa Nimri (Quién Te Cantará)
- Penélope Cruz (Everybody Knows)
- Lola Dueñas (Journey To A Mother’s Bedroom)
- Javier Gutiérrez (Champions)
- Antonio de la Torre (The Realm)
- Javier Bardem (Everybody Knows)
- José Coronado (Tu Hijo)
Best supporting actress
- Carolina Yuste (Carmen & Lola)
- Ana Wagener (The Realm)
- Natalia de Molina (Quién Te Cantará)
- Anna Castillo (Journey To A Mother’s Bedroom)
Best supporting actor
- Juan Margallo (Champions)
- Luis Zahera (The Realm)
- Antonio de la Torre (A Twelve-Year Night)
- Eduard Fernández (Everybody Knows)