menu Home
Spanish News

New advice for travellers visiting the UK, EU or European Economic Area in the event of a no-deal EU Exit

BayRadio | January 31, 2019

The British Embassy has offered some reassurance to expats over the recent healthcare stories saying “it is a priority for the UK’s Department of Health, and for the British Embassy in Madrid, to ensure UK nationals living or working in the EU can continue to access the healthcare they need as the UK leaves the EU.

The Spanish government has already announced that it is planning contingency measures to guarantee healthcare to UK nationals living in Spain starting on the date of the UK’s withdrawal from the EU if there is no agreement.”

The country is bringing forward a law giving the Spanish Prime minister the power to guarantee British nationals access to healthcare under the current system in the event of a no deal, providing there’s a reciprocal agreement, based on current access.

For more information on Spain’s Brexit contingency measures, including on healthcare, please see

For the latest information including on moving to and living in Spain, including EU Exit and healthcare, please highlight the webpage, and advise your readers to sign up for alerts.

The government has published its latest advice for people travelling to the UK, European Union, European Economic Area or Switzerland after 29 March 2019.

Travellers who intend to use their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) must check what the arrangement is with the specific country they are visiting as the card may not be valid. This advice also applies to students studying in the EU.

In addition, UK nationals should follow current advice from the government which recommends travellers take out separate travel insurance to cover any healthcare requirements needed in any country within the EU or outside. This is particularly advisable for travellers with a pre-existing or long-term health condition.

There is also further guidance for UK nationals living or working in the EU.

The new advice encourages citizens to register for access to healthcare in the EU/EEA country they live in, as some residents may need to be a long-term resident or pay social security contributions to access free or discounted healthcare.

If a resident is in the process of applying for residency the advice suggests individuals take out separate health insurance.

For residents who use the S1 certificate, this may no longer be valid after 29 March 2019. The advice is to check what the latest healthcare arrangements are between the UK and the country British nationals currently live in.

Until further agreements are reached between the UK and individual EU member states, the government advises UK citizens to follow this latest guidance to ensure they are fully prepared for any unexpected healthcare requirements overseas.

Written by BayRadio

  • Listen Live


  • Download BayRadio APP