The Spanish government is calling on parliament today to extend the state of alarm
The Spanish government is calling on parliament today to extend the state of alarm.
The request is to add 15 more days without proposing any further restrictions on those already in the decree passed on March 14.
Minister of Health, Salvador Illa, said no new restrictions are needed as the measures adopted by Spain are the most ‘drastic’ in the European Union and added, “the best new measure is to ask everyone to continue to comply until April 12.”
The decision now rests with MPs but there is a possibility for them to further extend or alter the proposed measures.
The death toll in Spain from the coronavirus pandemic has risen to 2,696 people, with 514 new victims in just 24 hours, that’s a 24% day-on-day increase.
The number of infections is now nearing 40,000, an increase of 20% in the past day.
Nearly 3,800 people have recovered from the Covid-19 disease and have been discharged from hospital, while there are still 2,636 people being treated in intensive care.
Catalonia and Madrid are still showing the largest number of new cases.
Fernando Simón, the director of the Health Ministry’s Coordination Center for Health Alerts, also revealed that more than 5,000 of Spain’s health workers have been infected with the coronavirus.
Miguel Ángel Villarroya, the defence chief of staff, said that the military are carrying out “disinfections in 135 areas, and in 92 retirement homes, and expects that number will increase.
They are also supporting the transfer of patients and air transport of medical supplies.”
The Spanish army has requested international assistance to fight the coronavirus pandemic, which is now expanding at a faster rate than Italy.
The Defence Ministry said international partners have been asked to provide help in supplying humanitarian assistance.
The joint operational director of the National Police, José Ángel González, said 61 people had been arrested in recent days and that 6,000 reports had been filed for disobedience.
José Manuel Santiago, the chief of staff of the Civil Guard, said that since March 19, there have been more than 3,000 reports a day of people acting irresponsibly.