Up to 5 missiles were fired at Kabul’s Hamid Karzai International Airport in Afghanistan on Monday. However, the missiles have been intercepted by the United States. All this is only one day before the deadline for the withdrawal of troops.
The missiles were fired from an area near the airfield, although there is currently no official information on the causes of the explosions. As Reuters has confirmed, initial reports did not indicate fatalities, so “evacuation operations continue uninterruptedly,” said State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki.
This attack comes a few days after the double attack by members of the Islamic State at the airport, which left at least 170 dead, including 13 US military personnel, and more than 200 wounded.
After that, last Sunday, the American country bombed an ISIS-K car with explosives in the face of the threat of a new attack in the Afghan capital. Washington had previously warned of the risk of an imminent terrorist attack.
Several officials also warned last week that Islamic State militants were seeking to attack the airport. ” We know that ISIS-K would like to launch a rocket there, if they could. Now we have pretty good protection against that”said General Frank McKenzie, head of US Central Command.
Because of this situation, 98 countries have signed a joint letter demanding that the Taliban faction keep its promise and allow more Afghan citizens to leave the country after 31 August, the day the evacuation ends.
“We have received assurances from the Taliban that all foreign nationals and any Afghan nationals with travel permits from our countries will be able to travel safely and in an orderly manner to points of departure and to travel outside the country. We will continue to issue travel documents to the designated Afghans, and we have the clear expectation and commitment of the Taliban that they can travel to our respective countries”.