Serbian tennis player Novak Djokovic said this Wednesday in a statement that he did not know he was positive in coronavirus when he participated in several public events without a mask, while his participation in the Australian Open is still on the air.
However, he did admit that there were “human errors” in the documents submitted for entry into Australia. He has also acknowledged that he took part in an interview with a sports media outlet after learning about his infection and that he should have rescheduled it.
“I felt compelled to attend the interview with ‘L’Equipe’ so as not to let the journalist down, but I kept social distance and mask all the time, except during the photographs. When I returned home I isolated myself and reflected. I made an error in judgment and I admit that I had to postpone the appointment, “he explained in a statement published on social networks.
In the statement, Djokovic states that on 16 December he was tested for coronavirus. He met the test result a day later, after attending an event with young people, while the interview was on the 18th.
“I was asymptomatic and feeling fine and did not receive notification of my positive PCR test until after the youth event,” said Djokovic, who also added that in the previous days he had been tested for antigens as a precaution, which were negative.
Djokovic, who hopes to defend his title at the Australian Open from the 17th, has also explained that his agent made a “human error” by filling in the box about the trips that the athlete made in the 14 days prior to his arrival in the oceanic country.
The Australian government, meanwhile, continues to consider the possible visa cancellation and subsequent deportation.
Meanwhile, immigration authorities are investigating, according to Australian media, whether the tennis player lied on entering Australia when he claimed that he had not visited any third country the previous two weeks, which could mean that his visa would be cancelled.