The Australian government has cancelled Novak Djokovic’s visa for the second time, claiming that the world’s number one tennis player, who is not vaccinated against COVID-19, may pose a risk to the community.
Immigration Minister Alex Hawke has announced the cancellation of Djokovic’s visa again, after a court overturned a previous revocation and released him from immigration detention on Monday. ” Today I exercised my power under section 133C (3) of the Migration Act to cancel Mr.Novak Djokovic’s visa for reasons of health and good order, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so, “Hawke said in a statement.
According to the country’s Minister of Immigration, Alex Hawke, the decision has been taken “for reasons of health and good order, on the basis that it was in the public interest to do so”.
“In making this decision, I carefully considered the information provided to me by the Department of the Interior, the Australian Border Force and Mr. Djokovic, “he admitted in a statement.
Djokovic arrived in Melbourne on January 5 with a medical exemption that allowed him to play at the Australian Open without being vaccinated against the coronavirus. However, the customs authorities cancelled his visa and detained him until the court ruling in favor of the tennis player.
He announced that he had a medical waiver to fly to the capital of Victoria on January 4. It was a trip with a stopover, which lasted 20 hours and where he was oblivious to the controversy that arose among Australian citizens when they entered the country without the vaccine.
The tennis player had been included in the draw of the Australian Open, where he would play his first-round match against Miomir Kecmanovic on Monday or Tuesday in the case he could stay in the country.
Djokovic has acknowledged in a statement that he should not have given an interview after learning that he was positive for coronavirus. The tennis player admitted having attended a face-to-face interview on 18 December in Belgrade. “I felt compelled to attend the interview with L’Equipe so as not to leave the journalist alone,” he said.